Free Tax Prep, an initiative of United Way of Greater Cincinnati, provides free income tax preparation and filing services. Funded by the IRS and powered by volunteers.
We offer services including preparing and filing your taxes on your behalf or supporting you in preparing and filing your taxes on your own. You can connect with Free Tax Prep online or in person. All in-person services have been modified to limit contact and ensure safe distancing.
To determine the best Free Tax Prep Service for you, complete this short survey or call 2-1-1 for assistance.
Free Tax Prep Services are offered across the Greater Cincinnati region. For the most up-to-date list of sites, click here.
All Free Tax Prep services require the following documents and information: photo identification for primary filers, social security card(s) and date of birth for all members of the household, all tax forms related to your income (W-2s, 1099s, etc.), healthcare forms, expense documentation (childcare expenses & provider’s tax ID, 1098-T/ school tuition statement, self-employment expenses, etc.), bank information and a copy of the previous year’s taxes. Review the Tax Prep Checklist below for a complete list of documents.
In-Person Free Tax Prep Services
- Same Day Service: Drop off your tax documents, complete an intake form in-person and wait while the return is prepared, usually within one hour.
- Drop Off Service: Drop off your tax documents and complete an intake form in-person, then we prepare the tax return online. Schedule time to pick up your finished tax return one week later.
Please review the Tax Prep Checklist to make sure you have everything you need for us to prep and file your taxes. To find a complete list of sites that take online appointments, click here.
Online Free Tax Prep Services
- Online Drop Off Service: Provide your tax documents and complete the intake form through a secure online portal. Your return is prepared electronically for you. You’ll receive a final copy electronically within 5-10 business days.
- File On Your Own: Prepare your taxes on your own using our online Free Tax Prep software.
- File with the Support of a Free Tax Prep Coach: Schedule a private, virtual appointment with a Free Tax Prep Coach who will answer questions while you prepare your taxes using our online Free Tax Prep software.
To connect with us online, you’ll need access to a computer or tablet with the internet. If you have paper documents, you will also need access to a scanner or a camera phone. If you don’t have a computer at home, consider visit a local library or a Free Tax Prep community station.
Please review the Tax Prep Checklist to make sure you have everything you need to file your taxes.
To find a complete list of Free Tax Prep community stations, click here.
Questions? E-mail us at email@example.com